Cosmetic dentistry provides solutions for many people wishing to achieve a more attractive and uniform smile. Dental veneers address a number of cosmetic concerns at once, making it possible to achieve highly aesthetic results in just one procedure.
Dental veneers are made from composite resin or porcelain. They can be the ideal solution for:
- Replacing worn enamel
- Fixing uneven tooth appearance
- Fixing abnormal spacing
- Filling chips and cracks
- Treating stubborn dicolouration
- Making teeth look more uniform
- Correcting the appearance of minor misalignment
To determine if you are a candidate for veneers, an initial consultation will be scheduled. We will evaluate your oral health, and all treatment options will be discussed.
Due to the tooth preparation required, the treatment is irreversible. It is, therefore, important that our patients participate in the “smile design process”. This is where preferences for shape, length, width and colour of the veneers are chosen and determining how the changes in smile appearance to occur will meet expectations. We do this by incorporating study models and digital photography into our consultations.
There are several steps in this procedure:
- A local anaesthetic is administered, allowing for comfort during tooth preparation and veneer placement.
- The natural tooth is prepared by minimally reshaping it using small dental burs for precision.
- If the treatment involves direct composite materials, the appropriately shaded material is added to the teeth.
- The preparation is then shaped, the dental material applied and hardened using a high intensity light.
- We complete the procedure by finishing and polishing the new veneer(s) using burs and polishers, to create a vital and lifelike smile.
The procedure for porcelain veneers requires an impression of the teeth, where a mould of the mouth is made. The mould is then sent to Aceram, our neighbouring dental lab, where they are professionally fabricated. Each veneer is a custom restoration designed to look attractive but also natural, without looking bulky or fake.
In the meantime, temporary veneers are placed, which preview the expected look, feeling and fit of the final product. They also allow us to identify any adjustments that may be needed during fabrication, such as bite adjustments or changes in the final colour.
During the veneer placement appointment, the temporaries are removed and the final veneers are placed with an evaluation and adjustment to ensure optimal fit and colour.
Would You Like a Beautiful Smile?
Dr Karikios is highly skilled in the art and science of cosmetic dentistry. His experience combined with the latest dental materials and techniques available on the market today creates beautiful outcomes for our patients. We welcome you to contact our Sydney dental clinic to arrange a consultation with Dr Karikios, who will go over all of your options and help you make a decision that results in a brilliant, natural-looking smile.